Yay friends! Spring is officially here! As you start dreaming about patio dining and backyard parties, you may be itching to do some spring cleaning. If that’s the case, you’re in great company. Over 75% of Americans participate in this yearly cleaning ritual that is just what we need to get ready for summer!
For sure, we can get consumed with the closets. However, don’t forget to tackle these five forgotten areas:
1. Vacuum Out Your Cabinets and Drawers
You’ll be amazed at how many crumbs, hairs, and dirt particles end up in your cabinets and especially the bathroom drawers! Spring cleaning is the perfect time to wipe away built-up grime while doing a bit of organizing.
- To start, empty out each cabinet or drawer and throw away what you don’t need.
- Give the inside a nice vacuuming, or wipe down the sides and bottom with a clean damp cloth.
- Add a drawer liner of your choice.
- Refill and reorganize your essentials, adding in only the things you absolutely need.
Having clean cabinets and drawers makes your home automatically feel cleaner!
2. Clean Your Dishwasher and Washing Machine
Although it sounds counterintuitive, your dishwasher and washing machine need a good cleaning every now and then. Follow these steps:
- Spritz the interior with white vinegar. Wipe it down with a microfiber cloth.
- Wipe around all the rubber gaskets. These gaskets are what seal the door. They’re notorious for collecting mildew, scum, and hair. (I know…gross!)
- Run a short cycle with hot water and two cups of distilled white vinegar.
- Run a second cycle with half a cup of baking soda.
- Once the last cycle finishes, keep the door to your washing machine open, and let the machine air dry. Finish out by wiping down the door/lid, sides, and all the knobs.
Now that you’ve got it sparkling clean, plan to keep it that way by repeating the process every six months or so.
3. Wipe Down Behind Your TV and Electronics
Electronics are major dust magnets. You’d surprised by how much dust collects around your cords and devices. Be sure to dust…
- behind your TV(s)
- behind your computer, printer or monitor
- any and all cords, including your lamps, appliances, and routers
This will not only get some of the allergens out of your house, but it’ll also help increase the lifespan of your electronics!
4. Vacuum Behind Your Fridge
Even if you think you keep your kitchen super clean, take a peek underneath and behind your fridge. These are hot spots for bits of food, dust, pet hair, and perhaps even mold.
Experts recommend you pull out your fridge and give it a good cleaning every three months or so. Vacuum out any dust and wipe down the walls and underneath your fridge using a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and water. Then make sure the fridge is fully dry before sliding it back into place.
5. Check your vitamins and OTC meds for expiration dates!
Depending what types of products you have in your cabinets, some of these are OK to hang onto, just in case. Whereas others probably need to be discarded. The Standard Process and Biotics “food-based” capsule products should last a couple months past expiration, but don’t push it too long. The hard Mediherb tablets definitely last a lot longer.
Bonus DIY Tips:
For a house that smells fresh and clean without adding harmful chemicals to the air, consider adding Doterra Lemon essential oil or Purify blend to your vinegar and water solution. And make your own air freshener with this recipe.
For other Do-It-Yourself nontoxic tips, read more here.
Airing out your home and getting it squeaky clean is part of our seasonal ritual. So make sure you give these overlooked spots some extra TLC!