2 cups kale, chopped and massaged
6-8 Brussels sprouts, finely chopped
3-4 broccoli florets, finely chopped
½ cup dried cranberries
¼ cup roasted sunflower seeds, (or pumpkin seeds/pepitas)
1 medium apple
1 slice bacon, cooked and chopped (optional)
Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing:
1 Tbsp. coconut sugar, or honey
1 ½ Tbsp. white vinegar
2 Tbsp. paleo mayonnaise, or Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp. Olive oil
1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- To make poppy seed dressing, combine all ingredients in a small bowl or jar. Whisk or shake vigorously until combined and creamy. Refrigerate until ready to use. Can be prepared ahead of time.
- Remove kale leaves from stem. Discard stem (it’s very bitter!). Chop kale leaves into bite-sized pieces and scatter on a cutting board.
- Sprinkle kale with a little salt and rub/massage the kale for a minute or so, until it softens and darkens. Add kale to large bowl.
- For the Brussels sprouts, remove bottom 1/3 of sprout. Using a sharp knife, cut in half and lay each one on the cut side. Proceed to thinly slice each one and add to the kale.
- For the broccoli, remove several florets and finely chop both the flower ends and the stalk. Add to the bowl.
- Add the dried cranberries and roasted sunflower seeds to the bowl. Core and cut apple in half. Then slice into wedges add to the bowl. Drizzle salad dressing over the salad and toss. Add more dressing as needed. Enjoy!
Inspired by: https://www.seasonsandsuppers.ca/fall-kale-super-salad/#recipe