By Claire Bacon, ACN, CNC
Do you have a well-stocked home Farmacy? Have you ever heard of such a thing? Well, we’re happy to tell you that a Farmacy is just what it seems; it’s your at-home remedy products straight from the farm (or close to it).
A Farmacy will have items with simple, clean ingredients with the goal of supporting your body to deal with sickness or injury naturally. Because we know unfortunate things happen from time to time, there are certain supplements and products great for those moments needing occasional but immediate relief. Although severe matters need a doctor’s review, minor things such as scrapes, bruises, minor rashes, colds, and coughs can be easily treated at home, if you’re prepared with the right products.
By having a well-equipped home Farmacy, you can save yourself a ton of stress and trips to the doctor’s office or local CVS. With the right know-how, you can feel well-equipped to handle health situations more naturally. It’s inevitable that minor injuries and illnesses will happen, but many things can be handled at home. In other words, it never hurts to be prepared and have useful tools ready to go. Are you curious about what to keep on hand for you and your family? I hope so!
What To Keep on Hand:
Have you accumulated a mish-mash of various supplements and natural remedies? Not so sure if they are all worth it? Schedule a brief call with us. We can help you determine the key items best suited for your family.
We have compiled a list of some basic necessities. Most of these things we carry in our office and our online store. Some others, we can quickly order for you.
Sample Pantry of Favorite Essentials:
|Organic Aloe Vera or Tuna Omega 3 Oil for sunburn
|Colax or Magnesium Lactate for occasional constipation
|Adrenal Desiccated or Kava Forte for very stressful days, when feeling on edge, or can’t sleep
|Collinsonia Root or topical Hem-Stad cream for hemorrhoids
|Lavender essential oil for burns and itchy skin
|Antronex for headaches, mosquito bites, bee stings, and poison ivy, basically any histamine reaction
|Cyruta Plus and/or Helichrysum essential oil for nosebleeds
|USF Ointment for dry skin, burns, scrapes and chapped lips
|Cough Syrup – 1/2 c. Honey w/ 8 drops ea. of Lavender, Frankincense, Peppermint, OnGuard & Lemon oils (not to be used for children under 2)
|PulmaCo for lung irritation, exercise-induced asthma, and dry cough
|Eucalyptus oil for chest congestion
Immuplex as a multivitamin all through the winter for foundational support
|Broncafect for deep chest congestion and productive cough
|Colloidal silver for eye or ear infections, also chronic sinus infections
|Dr. Sarah’s favorite: Larkly Mineral Clean Sunscreen with nontoxic ingredients
|Heating Pad, Ice Pack and/or CBD Ointment for swelling and pain
|Lactic Acid Yeast or Zymex for gassiness
|Cramplex, Evening Primrose and/or Cal-Ma Plus for menstrual cramps
|Dr. Bob’s favorite: Doterra Onguard or Breathe Throat Lozenges for sore throat
|Doterra Terrashield Organic Insect Repellent
Claire’s favorite: Gluterase when going to parties or when can’t avoid gluten
|Gastrex, Hi-Pep or Doterra DigestZen blend for upset tummy
MyGranX for migraine headaches
What’s in your fridge (and your pantry)? A first step to upgrade your natural immune-boosting potential is to clear out anything with added sugars – especially high fructose corn syrup! Have you ever looked at the labels of commercial fruit juices? Most of them contain a full day’s allotment of carbohydrates. Remember, circulating sugar takes up the vitamin C receptors on your cells. That means a high-sugar breakfast not only makes you crave carbs the rest of the day, but also blocks your Vitamin C supps and foods from working.
A few therapeutic foods that are good to keep on hand:
- Fresh ginger or natural gingerale – to promote digestion, relieve nausea
- Jennie’s Unsweetened coconut macaroons – for watery or loose stools
- Kombucha tea – for constipation
- Peppermint candies – for headaches
- Dark chocolate or homemade fat bombs – when you need a reward or an emotional boost
- Chamomile tea or Aveda Comfort Tea – to help wind down
- Frozen peas – for an emergency ice pack
Featured Supplements to Keep in Your Home Farmacy:
Supplements are helpful to keep in your cabinet for daily support and they can be just as helpful as some over-the-counter options. Here are four featured supplements we recommend keeping in your home Farmacy…
- Congaplex – This is one of the best-selling products we have. It’s built to support your immune system, with a combination of Vitamins A and C, with Calcium, thymus extract, and ribonucleic acid. It’s the perfect first step for any respiratory infection. And it comes in a chewable form for the kids!
- Children’s Immune – This is a brand-new product meant to build up your child’s immune system. It’s a chewable supplement for kids ages 4 and older that delivers Vitamins C, D, Zinc and prebiotics for immune system functioning and development.
- USF Ointment – This is a must-have product in everyone’s health cabinet. USF Ointment contains lanolin and flaxseed oil, among other ingredients, to promote soft, healthy skin. It’s a thick ointment to use on scrapes, cuts, rashes, and chapped lips your child may encounter.
- Lact-Enz – is our foundational probiotic for babies and kids. It also contains a mix of enzymes that little kids need to stay well. Every baby has a leaky gut, and it’s the diverse mix of probiotic life that work to mature the gut environment and seal it up.
As a general rule, keep your Farmacy in a cool and dry location. We keep our supply in the hall closet! In addition, it is essential to pay attention to the expiration date after anything has been opened.
Let us know how we can help you choose the right home remedies for you!
We hope you agree, it is vital to have an at home Farmacy! More specifically, having healthful supplements and clean ingredient products on hand and ready to go can relieve the worry of catching colds, lower your chances of injury or sickness, and help your family FEEL BETTER NATURALLY.
It is best to start building it now if you have not already. We hope these suggestions help you and your family take on anything life throws at you!