By Claire Bacon, ACN, CNC
As we age, our bodies gradually become at a higher risk of certain conditions and ailments. One of the joys of getting older is learning more about your body. For example, our digestive tracts may not work as efficiently as they did when we were younger. Digestion problems are certainly one of the ailments that can be caused by aging at varying severity. One of the joys of getting older is our digestive tracts may not work as efficiently as they did when we were younger.
With aging, many of our bodily processes naturally slow down, digesting our food and other nutrients through our digestive tract is included. Our digestive systems work hard every day to process what we eat and unfortunately, after years of this, it can cause the system to weaken. The muscles in our tracts naturally become less efficient, weaker, and slower and the cells in it are more likely to be damaged due to new cells not forming as quickly as they did.
Digestive Tract Problems That Can Occur
Some digestive tract problems that can occur as we age include:
- Acid reflux
- Peptic ulcers
- Stomach pain
- Stomach sensitivity
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
- Fecal Incontinence
- Colon cancer
- Problems absorbing vitamins and nutrients that your body needs
Why Digestive Problems Are Common
Part of the reason why digestive tract problems are common as we get older is our stomach produces less acid. Hydrochloric acid helps to break down food in our bodies and also helps break down proteins that our bodies need. Since our stomach produces less acid as we age, it takes longer for the food to fully break down and digest compared to when we were younger.
Unfortunately, there is no way to simply turn off the aging process to our bodies and naturally produce hydrochloric acid as our bodies once did, but there are tips and supplements you can take to assist your digestive tract and help prevent digestive tract problems from occurring.
Tips To Assist with Digestion
Some tips that can assist with digestion as we age are:
- Stay hydrated by drinking lots of water daily
- Limit your fat consumption in your diet
- Load your diet with fiber
- Maintain a healthy body weight
- Stick to healthy portion sizes
- Avoid overeating
- Have a regular and consistent exercise schedule
3 Supplements That Help Support Digestion
Supplements we recommend taking to assist the digestive tract as you age are Zypan®, Betaine Hydrochloride, and DiGest Forte.
- Zypan® facilitates healthy digestion by combining pancreatin, pepsin, and betaine hydrochloride. All of these are digestive enzymes that your body needs to promote healthy and proper digestion for our bodies. Zypan® also supports with several things such as:
- Macronutrient digestion
- Gastric PH
- Enzymatic support for protein digestion
- The environment of the GI tract
- And more
- Betaine Hydrochloride, also known as Betaine HCI, supports normal gastrointestinal pH. It also supports healthy protein digestion and enhances calcium, iron, and vitamin B12 absorption.
- DiGest Forte supports healthy digestion and contains Gentian, Ginger, Tangerine, Wormwood, and Feverfew. DiGest Forte also:
- Stimulates gastric juice output
- Increases appetite
- Supports healthy digestion
- Supports intestinal function
- Promotes healthy gastrointestinal tone
- Supports the body’s natural toxin-elimination function
- Increases bile flow to help encourage healthy digestion
- Promotes normal responses in the digestive tract to environmental stressors
We know supplements can get confusing…
so watch Dr. Bacon with Chris Goodson from Standard Process, to help simplify them for you!
Our bodies weaken as we age if we don’t take action in supporting them we can feel and see hard changes. When it comes to your digestion incorporate positive eating habits, start including supportive whole food supplements like Zypan, Betaine HCI, and DiGest Forte, and remember that age is just a number! Don’t let age change you, change the way you age.