Two tablets per meal, or as directed.
Nutrients & Ingredients
Each Serving Size (2 tablets) contains: Total Carbohydrate <1 g, Total Sugars <1 g, Vitamin A 450 mcg RAE, Vitamin B6 0.3 mg, Iodine 40 mcg. Proprietary Blend 550 mg: Organic SP beet blend (organic swiss chard juice powder, organic beet (root), organic beet (leaf) juice powder), organic beet (root), organic carrot, organic sweet potato, organic oat flour, calcium lactate, rice bran, magnesium citrate, bovine liver, bovine prostate, nutritional yeast, bovine kidney, organic alfalfa (aerial parts), organic flaxseed oil, bovine orchic extract, bovine liver fat extract, d-alpha tocopherol (vitamin E sunflower), and sunflower lecithin. Other Ingredients: Honey, acacia gum, modified corn starch, calcium stearate, vitamin A palmitate, prolamine iodine (zein), ascorbic acid, sucrose, and pyridoxine hydrochloride.
Please consult the actual product label for the most accurate product information.
*These claims/statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
About A-F Betafood®
A-F Betafood is a gallbladder supplement that supports bile production and includes an array of whole food and other ingredients to support healthy fat digestion.*
- Supports healthy bile flow in the gallbladder
- Supports bile production and helps maintain healthy liver function
- Supports healthy lipid metabolism
- Supports healthy bowel functioning*
- Contains a combination of key ingredients from Cataplex® A, Cataplex® F Tablets, and Betafood®
- Excellent source of vitamin A and iodine
- Good source of vitamin B6
The gallbladder is a storage location for the bile that’s produced by the liver. Bile plays a key role in fat digestion and removal of waste from the body. 20-25 million Americans are affected by concerns of the gallbladder, including its efficiency and ability to function correctly.1
Beet (Root) and Beet Leaf
Beets, a main ingredient in A-F Betafood, contain betalains and betaine, which are two phytonutrients that have been linked to various health benefits. Betalains are water-soluble, nitrogen-containing pigments,2 and betaine is an N-methylated amino acid.3 Betalains are natural antioxidants4,5 found in certain plants including red beets.6 They have been shown to support antioxidant activity,4,5 as demonstrated by emerging research on betanin’s (a major betalain compound) ability to inhibit lipid peroxidation.5 Additional research has also shown that betanin may bind to circulating LDL and protect it against oxidation as demonstrated in an ex vivo-induced oxidation study.6
How A-F Betafood Supports Your Gallbladder
Gallbladder wall thickness may be an indicator of the overall health of the gallbladder, and wall thickening may be an indication of gastrointestinal and liver concerns.7,8 In a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study, 42 healthy adults completed a study with A-F Betafood for 12 weeks.9R The change in gallbladder wall thickness from baseline to week 12 differed significantly between groups (p = 0.0497) with a decrease in thickness observed in the A-F Betafood group after the 12-week supplementation. This study suggests that A-F Betafood improves gallbladder function in adults who are at risk of gallbladder insufficiency.9
1. Stinton, L. M., & Shaffer, E. A. (2012). Gut and liver, 6(2), 172–187. doi:10.5009/ gnl.2012.6.2.172Azeredo HMC (2009). Int J Food Sci Technol 44:2365–2376.doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2621.2007.01668.x
2. Craig SAS (2004). Am J Clin Nutr 80:539–549
3. Butera D, Tesoriere L, Di Gaudio F, et al (2002). J Agric Food Chem 50:6895–6901. doi: 10.1021/jf025696p
4. Kanner J, Harel S, Granit R (2001). J Agric Food Chem 49:5178–5185)
5. J. Agric. Food Chem. 2017, 65, 4, 675–689 Publication Date:January 18, 2017 https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jafc.6b04208
6. Tesoriere L, Allegra M, Butera D, Livrea MA (2004). Am J Clin Nutr 80:941–945
7. Gabriel J. Runner, Michael T. Corwin, Bettina Siewert, and Ronald L. Eisenberg. American Journal of Roentgenology 2014 202:1, W1-W12
8. Afamefuna, Simore. “Gallbladder Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, andTreatment.”U.S. Pharmacist – The Leading Journal in Pharmacy, 20 Mar. 2013, http://www.uspharmacist. com/article/gallbladder
9. Evans, M., Guthrie, N., El-Khodor, B. F., Metzger, B., & Varadharaj, S. (2020). A Whole-Food-Based Health Product (A-F Betafood®) Improves Gallbladder Function in Humans at Risk of Gallbladder Insufficiency: A Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Clinical Trial. Nutrients, 12(2), 540
Standard Process products labeled as Vegan are devoid of animal-based tissue, animal-based gelatin, or fish oils. They are also devoid of animal-based ingredients such as dairy, eggs, honey, beeswax, and lanolin.
When you see our products labeled as USDA Organic, that means they have been certified as Organic by a USDA-accredited certifying agent.
Standard Process products labeled as Non-Dairy or Non-Dairy Formula have been formulated to not contain milk or milk-derived ingredients.
Standard Process products labeled as Non-Soy or Non-Soy Formula have been formulated to not contain soy or soy-derived ingredients.
Standard Process products labeled as Vegetarian are considered lacto-ovo vegetarian, which means they are devoid of animal-based tissue, animal-based gelatin, or fish oil. They may contain animal-based ingredients such as dairy, eggs, honey, beeswax, or lanolin.
Standard Process products labeled as Gluten-Free have been tested to verify they meet the regulations associated with the United States Food and Drug Administration's gluten-free labeling.
Standard Process products labeled as Non-Grain or Non-Grain Formula have been formulated to not contain any true cereal grain or grain-derived ingredients such as those from wheat, rice, oats, cornmeal, barley, or another cereal grain.
AF Betafood is one of the best products to keep on hand if you have trouble with certain kinds of fats and oils. For instance, if a meal is cooked in bacon grease and you feel really sluggish after eating it, a handful of AF Betafood (chewed) can get you feeling back to normal in about 10 minutes! Just yesterday, I ate a larger-than-normal portion of Thai food for lunch, and shortly after started having stabbing pains in my neck. I took about 10 AF Betafood and chewed them, and immediately the pains went away. Love this product!