No matter how healthy you are, we all get sugar cravings from time to time. And now that we’re in the holiday season, your pesky sweet tooth may be tempting you a little more than usual.
There are a few common go-to’s when it comes to curbing the cravings. These usually include changing up certain lifestyle habits to manage stress or getting enough sleep. They also include getting the proper nutrients or swapping out sweet treats with a piece of fruit.
But there’s another powerful way to banish sugar cravings – one that’s totally natural and surprisingly effective. It’s a powerful little herb called Gymnema. Keep reading to learn more!
What Is Gymnema?
Gymnema is a climbing shrub whose leaves and roots have been used for thousands of years in Ayurveda, the ancient Indian medicinal practice. This powerful herb has traditionally been used to help:
- Reduce blood sugar levels
- Lower the levels of sugar absorbed in your intestines
- Decrease LDL cholesterol levels
- Stimulate the release of insulin in your pancreas (which also helps lower your blood sugar levels)
Because of this, Gymnema can be a significant help in:
- Treating diabetes
- Regulating blood sugar control
- Managing obesity
One of the most exciting benefits of Gymnema is its ability to curb your sweet cravings.
The Sweet Benefits of Gymnema
The main way that Gymnema controls your sugar cravings is by blocking the sugar receptors on your tongue. This makes it more difficult for you to taste sweetness in foods or beverages, which makes them seem far less appealing. The end result is a reduction of your overall sugar intake and sweet cravings.
Gymnema is also especially helpful for those with diabetes, because:
- It’s been shown to lower your blood sugar levels. Gymnema not only helps block your sugar receptors, but it also blocks the receptors in your intestines. This helps reduce how much sugar your intestines absorb, which means your blood sugar levels are far less likely to spike after eating a meal.
- Gymnema also helps improve your insulin response. When you have higher insulin levels, your body is able to clear sugar from your blood at a quicker pace. But for those who are prediabetic or have type 2 diabetes, your body doesn’t produce enough insulin. Enter Gymnema. Gymnema can help stimulate insulin production and help regenerate insulin-producing cells.
Who knew a little herb could be so powerful?
Curb Your Sugar Cravings Today
Given all the potent health benefits, you may be looking for simple ways to add it to your daily diet. The key is to consume Gymnema before eating or drinking a sugary treat so it has time to take effect.
While you can find Gymnema in a leaf powder or extract form, the most popular way to consume it is in a tablet form. We’d be happy to meet with you to talk through how you may benefit from adding Gymnema to your supplement regimen. Give our office a call to learn more and see how you can kick your sugar cravings to the curb!
Note: Be sure to talk with us or your primary healthcare provider before starting a new supplement. Diabetes can be tricky, and like many supplements, Gymnema may interact with certain diabetes medications.